Baseball gets off to hot start

While students spent their spring break on vacation or sleeping in, the varsity baseball team opened its season of March 19 with a 9-5 victory over Parkway Central. The team would win three more games against Parkway West, Parkway South, and Rockwood Summit, along with tying with Parking North in the ensuing games. Coach Ray Howard was especially pleased with the team’s start to the season.

“For the most part we’ve played very well,” Coach Howard said. “Our last game we had a bit of a hiccup and lost by a snag, but other than that, we’ve played well.”

In its last game, the team indeed had a hiccup, losing to Glenbrook North, a high school from a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. The final score of the game was 3-9.

Despite the loss, the team is still confident and thrilled as the season comes in full swing.

“We’re all excited about the team we have and are working hard in practice and trying to be the best team we can be,” Coach Howard said. “Our players see an opportunity to achieve something we haven’t and we’re trying to take advantage of it.”

The team still has a few things that must be improved, however.

“I think we need to do a better job of hitting off of offspeed pitchers,” Coach Howard said. “We also need a third or fourth starter for us to be successful. I think we have a few options there, we just need to find that.”

The team hopes to bounce back this Friday against an opponent that has yet to be decided.