Girls swimming impresses

The past week the girls swim and dive team has been to two different meets. The first meet was a tri-meet against Timberland and Holt, the second was a relay tournament held by Fort Zumwalt North. In both different meets the girls excelled. Winning in the tri-meet and 7 out of the 10 events the girls took home medals.

On wednesday the girls competed in relays and dives against Holt and Timberland. For a tri-meet, you have time trials against both teams and then they compete in relays and dives. The dives are judged by a MHSAA officials and the dive coach from all three teams. For the first time this year, the team had three out of the four girls able to compete with their six dives. Sophomore Amanda Ottinger, junior Erica Seeba, and junior Madison Jilek were all able to perform their six dives scoring points for the team.

The next meet the team competed in was a relay meet. This meet was something that doesn’t go towards making time for GAC’s. It is a tournament hosted by Fort Zumwalt North and is a fun meet that is mainly for the girls to cut loose and have fun. They are all relay events that have four girls swimming in an event. Some of the relays are just all backstroke or all butterfly, and also there are some fun relays that include a t-shirt relay, and a sister relay.

“The girls really did great, mostly all of the girls that competed in the event won a medal,” said coach Jessica Nettles.

Relay teams are looking to get towards GAC qualifying times until the end of this week. The teams A relay is their strongest team, this team always varies with who is on it. The three main girls you can usually count on being on the A team are senior Alison Strickler, sophomore Sheridan Aleksick, and sophomore Danielle Cox.

This year however, will be one a hard swim year though for the relay team though. Cox will be leaving the team on friday due to her father getting a new job in Columbia, Missouri. The team will have to fill in a big hole that is going to be made with her leaving.

“I’m not sure who will be able to take her place, but I think it will be the breath stroker in the B relays,” said Aleksick.

With the next meet not until after the Christmas break, the team will be looking to improve it’s times and keep putting up wins.