Behind the making of “See How They Run”

Most people know that performers in a play or musical, work hours on end to become comfortable with their roles and learn their lines, so they can be the best they can be when they perform. But there is also a little known, but crucial aspect, to making a production a success.
Behind the scenes of any production, the crew works just as hard, to make the production as perfect as it can be. The work ranges from building the actual set, to painting backdrops, to costume design.
One of the crew heads for “See How They Run”, junior Jacob Choate, helps lead the construction of the set. This is his fifth time working on the crew.
“I chose to join the crew because I like to have something to do,” Choate said. “The work is very challenging, but at the same time it’s a lot of fun.”
Everyday, Choate and all of the other set crew works until 4:30 p.m. after school to finish their part of the work.
“The set crew builds the set out of wood and other materials,” said Choate. “We use drills, hammers and many other tools to build the set. It’s a dangerous job but it’s also a lot of fun.”
Costume crew head, senior Ashleigh Harding, works on designing and creating the costumes for the performers.
“We chose the design of the costume based on the time period the the production and the character’s attitude,” said Harding.
Work after school includes designing, picking out fabric and working on the costumes.
“We stay after until about 4:30 to work,” said Harding. “Sometimes we go to Mrs. Clifford’s room and work on the costumes and other times we go to Goodwill to get clothes so we can modify them.”
Only crew heads are meeting right now, but next week all the crew members will start work.