Junior Lexi Pearson spikes the ball, earning a point for the Spartans. Despite this daring play, and many other like it, the Spartans ultimately lost to Nixa.

Spiking Through Loss

The girls volleyball team loses the first two sets in the State Tournament

November 8, 2019

As the first game in the girls volleyball state tournament came to a close, tensions were high. The Spartans lost both sets in their pool play game against Nixa High School, but as the girls sigh in defeat and disappointment, they pick themselves back up, prepare for their next game and hope for a chance to redeem themselves. 

Senior Kayla Steinmeyer, one of the most valuable players over the course of this game, drew support and inspiration from more than 50 students and staff members who traveled to the Show-Me Center for the game. 

“It made it … a lot better for us. It was really exciting,” Steinmeyer said.

Though the added energy from the Spartan community aided in the girls’ performance, it was not enough to help them secure a win. In their upcoming games, the girls aim to communicate more efficiently and hopefully beat their opponents.

“[We hope to improve] communication and [work on] not getting down on [ourselves] so easily,” Steinmeyer said.

Junior Lexi Peterson agrees that there is much to work on in order to perform better during the remainder of the tournament. 

“We’re just gonna establish what needs to be done first, you know come out stronger,” Peterson said. 

Steinmeyer has faith that the team will be able to turn its loss into something positive.

“[Losing] was kind of a bummer, but there’s two more games, we’ll be fine,” Steinmeyer said. “I’m gonna take it as a learning experience and move on.”