FHC’s New Athletic Trainer

Madi Hermeyer

New Athletic Trainer: Cody Hutson smiles for picture at a softball game. Hutson was hired mid-October and hopes to help athletes at FHC.

It’s a Friday night football game. The crowd roars with excitement to cheer on the team, but a hush comes over the crowd as a player is injured. The team drops to one knee and the game comes to a standstill. The first person to react is the athletic trainer. They rush onto the field to assess injuries, provide treatment and get the game back into action. Athletic trainers are vital to the wellbeing of high school athletes and keeping sports safe. Here at FHC we have welcomed a new trainer to our staff: Cody Hutson. Hutson was hired mid- October and looks forward to impacting young athletes and ensuring their safety.

Hutson’s motivation to become an athletic trainer stems from his own high school experience. While playing a sport in high school he was badly injured, but he did not receive any help from his coach or trainer. He was told to push through the pain and this worsened his injury and prolonged recovery. This experience highlighted the importance of trainers and inspired him to pursue this career. 

“I’m excited to maybe help some kids who weren’t getting help before,” Hutson said. “[I don’t want any kids] to feel like they don’t have a way to get help.” 

Before coming to FHC Hutson worked in this field as a PNR, which he described as being a substitute athletic trainer. He is experienced in providing assistance to injured players and in his short period of time here he has already begun to impact student athletes. Tanner Jones, a multi-sport athlete, describes his interactions with Hutson in a positive light. Hutson wrapped Jones’ ankle, and Jones noted that this has greatly improved his pain level and performance. Not only did Hutson treat his injury, but he did so with an upbeat demeanor that left an impression.

“He is adding a new kind of energy [to FHC]. He really does go above and beyond ,” Jones said. 

Being an athletic trainer can come with lots of stress. Each sport is pulling you in every which way, and you must provide quality care for every athlete. Their duties include providing on site emergency care, long-term treatment of injuries, advising athletes how to best care for their body and various tasks, such as conducting impact testing. Coaches rely on their trainers to keep their team performing at the peak of their abilities. Tennis Coach Jeremy Rohrbach describes a great trainer as a person who communicates well with coaches and demonstrates a genuine concern for student’s health. 

“[I appreciate trainers] that are always willing to just come out and help kids, whether it be small injuries or bigger ones,” Rohrbach said, “or just overall being involved and not seeming like it’s a hassle to deal with [sports other than] the major ones.” 

Hutson mentioned that he had previously been to Central during his time as PNR. He had traveled to other Francis Howell schools, but he found that he liked the feel of FHC and was excited about the open position. 

“I’ve helped at [Central] a few times, it was always a good place, and really close to where I lived, so it was a really good opportunity,” said Hutson. 

Sports at FHC rely on their athletic trainer and welcome Hutson with enthusiasm, as he adjusts to his new position. This occupation can be very demanding, but it is rewarding to work with students and help them get back on their feet to keep doing what they love. Trainers provide much needed services, and coaches and athletes are very appreciative of the work Hutson has already done and will continue to do.