Volleyball set for another run at state title

On Tuesday, March 29, boys volleyball will begin its 2011 season with a home opener against rival DeSmet Jesuit High School, who the team defeated in the state semifinals last year in an upset victory to advance to play St. Louis University High School in the finals.

This game will begin a season in which the team will be looking to make a run once again at securing a state title.

“We have a good group of kids,” said Coach Mark McAfee about this year’s team. “We’re very optimistic we’re going to pick up where we left off last year.”

Where the team left off last year was with a second place finish in state, for a second straight year. Following a second place finish in 2009, last year’s season was expected to be a rebuilding year for the Spartans, but the team surprised most by making it to the finals once again and taking another second place finish.

Suffice it to say, Coach McAfee outlined this year’s goals to be the same the team has held in years prior: simply to win a conference, a district and a state title.

“We’re looking to get back to the championship for the third year in a row,” Coach McAfee said. “This year, we feel like we have a legitimate chance, possibly our best chance, to win it.”