Teacher appreciation week: Mrs. Switzer

Art teacher influences students and the way they think about art

May 6, 2015

Art has always been a passion of mine, it has always had an impact on my life, so much so, that I have decided to pursue a career in the Arts. Throughout my high school career, I’ve had many art classes with many teachers, but senior year has definitely been the best opportunity for me to improve. Mrs. Switzer, who is my Drawing I, Drawing II, and AP Studio Art teacher, has really influenced the way I think about art. I thought I already knew how to draw before I took Drawing I, but I had no idea that not only would I learn how to actually draw well, but how to see my work as shades of light rather than collections of lines.

Mrs. Switzer is one of the best art teachers I’ve had during my time in school. She takes time for every student and puts effort into all of the plans she has. One thing that has always been so important to me is freedom in creativity. I’ve been in art classes before where we end up with 24 identical objects that are simply repetitive. The amount of free thinking I can do in Mrs. Switzer’s class is exactly what I need to continue learning how to be better at what I do.