Teacher appreciation week: Mr. Schott

Room 139 Publications teacher sparks inspiration and determination towards journalism

May 7, 2015

From Ashley Marlo:

Mr. Schott has been my role model since day one. I have had the privilege to be his student all four years of high school. He not only tries to make me a better editor and student, but he’s always looking for ways to become a better teacher.

The first time I walked into room 139, I was taking Photojournalism as a freshman. I knew Schott and I would get along because of his sarcastic sense of humor and relaxed classroom. What I didn’t know is how much this room would mean to me. After a semester in his class, he invited me to join Yearbook and with his encouragement, I moved my way up in Publications.

Now I’m a senior and I have been an editor for two years. His strong work ethic has taught me that there is always room for improvement, and that it’s okay to step out of your comfort zone. He has inspired me, and I genuinely hope I can be the leader for others the way he has been for me. I don’t think I would be where I am today without his consistent belief in me and my abilities.

Words can’t describe how hard it’s going to be to leave room 139, but I know I will be able to take what I’ve learned from Schott and put that towards growing as a photographer, and a person.

Thank you Mr. Schott, for being such a great teacher for me and many others!

From Eden Gundersen:

Dear Mr. Schott,

I don’t even know what to say that would express how much you’ve helped me through these past two years. From being in your journalism class to being an editor, so much has changed since I came into your first hour as a freshman. I’m pretty sure you only put up with me last year because I’m Sean’s little sister and you kind of got me dropped on you. But I think I’ve held my own so far and I can’t wait to be an executive editor so I can bother you even more. I’m going to work really hard for that. But yeah, I really want to be a journalist when I grow up and I wanted to be one in like, eighth grade, but you kind of cultivated that when I moved here. Like, I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with it and now I have more of an idea. I don’t know, I’m just really glad I have you as a teacher. You’ve helped me improve as a journalist by making me rethink and reorganize my ideas numerous times. I know I whine about it but I’ll try to be less annoying next year. Maybe.

I really don’t even know what else to say because I’m really bad with talking but whatever. I know I’m one of your favorites and I’ll give you crap about it until the end, trust me.  Thank you, Schott.

From Becca Abrams:

My sophomore year I made the decision to join Publications. Prior to my decision, I knew who Matthew Schott was. Well, sort of. I had been in his classroom a few times and I had mad respect for him because his music taste was amazing. My mentality from that was he had to be a rad soul considering his music is rad.

I really didn’t know what to expect going into newspaper. I was nervous because it was something I’ve never done before and I didn’t really know many people in the class. However; from the very beginning, Mr. Schott made it very clear that his classroom would be a place for positivity, hard work, and communication.

In all honesty, I think my favorite thing about Schott is his sarcasm and extremely dry sense of humor, I guess that’s because I’m the same way. I will say; however, that I feel personally victimized because he has hated every headline that I’ve written. Although, I can not blame him because “Merry Gift-mas” and “Or-nah-ments” are probably the worst headlines my brain has come up with, SO FAR. Yes, that’s right. There will be plenty more to come.

Pushing his views of my headlines aside, Schott is one of the better teachers that I have had in  my three years of high school. He actually listens to your thoughts and ideas and it’s refreshing to have a teacher who really listens to what you have to say.

Even though Schott may come off as someone who is sarcastic 24/7, he knows when his students are having a rough time either personally or with their work and he is definitely someone whom I’m comfortable speaking with to help through any rough patches.