Last four years

May 9, 2016

Over the last four years, we have all become real people. We walked into freshman transition day back in August of 2012, completely unaware of where the next four years would take us. Would Dr. Arnel always be so perky? We have been those ‘annoying freshmen’ that haunt the halls. It’s basically just a nickname for each freshman class, we couldn’t have been THAT annoying. Freshman year was a trial, we all tried different clubs, sports and classes just to see where we belonged, where we fit in. And as that may have changed over the following three years, we all remember what we tried that first year. It would all be over soon anyways, even though it may have not seemed so.

Sophomore year, we basically were just here. We weren’t upperclassmen quite yet; we were still the underdogs. This was the year we got to order our class rings, symbolizing that someday, not too far from then, we would be gone. Facing our lives in separate directions. But, that all still seemed so far away. We had just gotten to high school, it felt like there were centuries to go until we actually had to go to college. The future seemed so far away, we were barely even able to drive. It didn’t seem as if we had to worry about anything, we were young and free, metaphorically. But soon, it would all be over.

Our third year in high school went by pretty fast, we were finally juniors, finally upperclassmen. We could finally drive to school, have jobs, and even apply for colleges. Somewhere within all the excitement of being at an age that we could finally do things on our own, that we didn’t even take the time to realize that our time here was drawing slowly to an end. We went to prom for the first time, we watched some of our closest friends graduate and go off to do their own things, and we watched our last summer as high school students fly by with barely any notice of what would come next. What is most amazing, is that we didn’t even realize that pretty soon, our time for that would be here too. Our time to go to take our final AP tests, our time to have a senior skip day, and our time to walk across the stage at the Family Arena to end our high school careers. Soon, it would all be over.

Senior year. Senior year flew by, our time together coming to an abrupt end. There aren’t even words to really describe just how emotional and time consuming and difficult it was, because at the same time, it wasn’t any of those things. It was fun and new, different and exciting. Yeah, it was also emotional, but that’s how it’s supposed to be. This is the end of something we have been working on for the past 13 years basically. All of our work and effort we have put in has helped us to get to this point. All of the things we are familiar with will change very soon. We are all now beginning new journeys, whether it be into college, the military, or anything really. We are all going our own ways. Senior year shouldn’t be something that is looked back on with regret, this is the last time in our lives we can actually be “adults” without having any of those responsibilities. The class of 2016 is drawing nearer to the end of their high school careers every single day. Soon, it will all be over.

The future is a daunting thing that is looming over all of us. What will we become? There aren’t really any specific things that we are supposed to do, we are just supposed to live our lives. Whatever becomes of us, it will be great. This is the time where we separate and do our own things. The future is here now, and we can make what we want of it. Graduation is on June 4. That is less than 30 days away now. The future is here, and this is our time. Now, it is all over.