Coach+Bunton+smiles+as+he+watches+the+class+converse+with+one+another.+

Rachel Blanchard

Coach Bunton smiles as he watches the class converse with one another.

Mr. Bunton

Coach Bunton, 

Looking back on my entire high school experience, I have had a few classes that I would consider to be “favorites;” however, I can say with full confidence that our Drivers Ed class is at the very top of my list.

Walking into your class on the first day, I expected to be sitting in a class similar to others whereas the purpose of the class was simply to get through the material, nothing else. This one was much different from that expectation. The way you managed the class — from the funny stories you used inside and outside of lessons, to the restorative circles we did every week, to the downtime we had in class when you’d just about fight any of us who didn’t use that time to relax — made me more excited to come into class every morning. I’m sure I can speak for all of your students (past, present, and future) when I say that you have the best teaching style and class structure.

With all that being said, I want to take this time to thank you not just for the jokes and much-needed breaks, but for showing us that you truly care and want to see us succeed in school and in life. It is one of the most meaningful and encouraging things to me as a student and it never, ever goes unnoticed.

Your absolute favorite student/TA (because why wouldn’t I be?), 

Amber Davis

It is estimated that a gorilla could bench press 4000 pounds. The largest ape to ever walk the earth was the Gigantopithecus, a close relative of the gorilla who lived in southern china and died off 350,000 years ago. There has only ever been one documented albino gorilla, he was named Snowflake, and he lived in Barcelona Zoo until his death in 2003.

The above were all monkey facts. I mean, really they are ape facts, but I would argue that monkey is and therefore should be used as an umbrella term regardless of whether or not the speaker is aware of the difference (being a lack of tails in apes), but that’s not particularly important. Everyday, for over a year, I would spend all day researching a fact like this, and at the end of the day, in my weight training class, I would present it. It was the highlight of my day. 

This was in my sophomore year, which was by far my most difficult and stressful school year. The grand majority of my friends were doing online school, I was taking the most rigorous classes I could, and I had hours of homework every night. It was not an easy year.

Coach Bunton’s 6th hour weight training class was my reprieve. In there, I didn’t have to take notes at light speed, or worry about how long I’d spend on homework for the class, or stress about a test. Bunton, I don’t know if you knew this, but getting to say that monkey fact every was a big deal for me. It made me feel useful and welcome in a time where I was kind of lacking that, even it was something small.

It wasn’t just the jokes, it was the class itself. Weight training was challenging for me, but in a refreshing way. It was a type of challenge I had rarely encountered in my life up to that point. It was a challenge of discipline and self improvement. It was exactly what I needed at the end of the day that year. Bunton, your class gave me another angle to look at exercise, a positive one that I had never really seen before. Your sense of humor allowed everyone to have a good time and feel welcome. 

I have to thank you for what you provided for me and dozens of other students, a class where grades and tests weren’t the end all be all, a place where self improvement and having a good time were at the forefront. Really all I wanna say is, thank you, Coach Bunton, for letting me present my monkey facts.

– Nolan Haberstroh 

$1759
$1500