Swim AND Dive

Although it is commonly referred to as the swim team, the boys swim and dive team has two divers that are integral to the success of the team as a whole.

A+group+of+swimmers+dive+into+the+water.+Most+students+dont+understand+how+important+diving+is+to+the+team+as+a+whole.+

Alura Berry

A group of swimmers dive into the water. Most students don’t understand how important diving is to the team as a whole.

Jennifer Ferry, Staff reporter

Although the boys swim and dive team is commonly referred to as the boys swim team by both teachers and students, the team is actually a collection of swimmers and divers, both of which are integral to the team’s success.

Colin Williams, a sophomore who swims for the team, said,

“[Diving] is another skill, it takes years and there’s people who dive on our team, and they have that skill set because they’ve been doing it for a while. How I look at it it’s just another way to get points,” Williams said, “I think it’s good. We have two divers, and so far with what we’ve been up against, we haven’t had a lot of divers against us. Like I said, it’s a good beginning to our meets.”

Tristan Wren is a sophomore on the team who swims as well as dives, and he agrees with Williams in that diving is a great way for the team to earn points,

“I think it’s good. We have two divers, and so far with what we’ve been up against, we haven’t had a lot of divers against us. Like I said, it’s a good beginning to our meets.”

— Colin Williams

“I think [having divers] affects us in a good way because a lot of schools don’t have divers, or only have one.” Wren says, “It brings up [our] score.” Wren started diving for the team because his coach told him the team needed divers. Wren works with the Rec-Plex in the off season and his best dive is a back dive with a score of seven. Wren feels that by being both a swimmer and a diver helps his individual athletic performance because, as he says,

“It helps me get faster and makes me build my endurance” Wren also loves diving because of the,

“Feeling of accomplishing the one dive you’ve been working on for months”.

Adam Decker is another sophomore on the team who started diving last year because,

“Last year, there was only one senior who was a diver, I gave it a shot.” says Decker.  During the off-season he trains at the Rec-Plex with Saint Louis driving. Decker’s favorite part about diving with the team is,

“Coming out of the water and hearing all the support”.

The boys swim and dive team has already had a great season and beat school rivals the Francis Howell Vikings. If you want to support the boys swim and dive team check out the link below to see their game schedules. http://fhsdfhc.sharpschool.net/UserFiles/Servers/Server_999228/File/Sports/Fall%202017/Boys%20Swim3.pdf