Spartans stumble before playoffs

Eight game win streak snapped by Duchesne, East ties it up

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartans stumble before playoffs

Forwards junior Tyler Bradley and sophomore Deacon Schmatt exchange a fist bump during their match against Timberland. Bradley is ranked 17th in Goals for the St.Louis area.

Marcus Falcomata, Staff reporter

0Spartan Hockey took the ice against Duchesne at the Rec-Plex on Saturday, Dec. 29, expecting a shot at moving to the top of the league standings. The team received a rude awakening from the Pioneers, according to sophomore center forward Deacon Schmatt.

“I thought it was gonna be a good game,” Schmatt. “I didn’t think it was gonna blow out like it was.”

According to junior wing Tyler Bradley, the Spartans were missing many key players from their first line for the matchup.

“Not making any excuses or anything, but we’re missing a lot of players that game,” said Bradley. “If we had every in the team I think that we win that game. We were missing our complete first line because of vacations and injuries.”

Even with these disadvantages, the game remained close until the third period.

“In the third period, we were down by one it was 3-2,” said Bradley. “Then they scored two quick goals that just snuck in. After that, they started throwing more goals in the net and we just put our head down and didn’t get back in the game.”

The team was given a chance to get back in winning form against Fort Zumwalt East in Wentzville. Instead of being handed an expected victory though, they had to work for a tie.

“We had two goals like to keep tying up the game. We were down 1-1 then they scored,” Schmatt said. “We immediately made it 2-2 then they scored again. We went out the play after with 50 seconds left. I won the faceoff and someone passed it across to me. I just took a slapshot and scored .”

After two disappointing results, the Wickenheiser Cup Playoffs, which the team will likely be voted into, loom ahead.  With three games left in the regular season, the Spartans will take on Howell at the Rec-Plex on Friday. Senior defender Timmy Schmidt thinks adjustments need to be made in fast.

“We need to just, you know, regroup,” said Schmidt. “If we fix our mistakes and start working a bit harder, especially in practice, we can perform well in ‘the Wick.’”