Heading into districts

Varsity boys basketball won their game at St. Charles High School with a score of 62-58.

Varsity basketball played St. Charles High last Wednesday. With districts approaching, this game was a good indicator of how they’ll perform.

Kayla Reyes, Social media editor

The varsity boys basketball team won their game against St. Charles High School last Tuesday with a score of 62-58. The team played hard, and the boys are feeling prepared and excited heading into districts.

The team felt a range of emotions going into the game. With districts right around the corner, the boys have feelings of confidence, excitement, and anticipation. Senior Jordan Hayden felt the energy going into the game.

“I’m a captain, so I kind of try to get everybody involved,” Hayden said. “I had a pretty positive feeling.”

While FHC secured a win, their opponent proved a more difficult one than originally imagined. Hayden was surprised by the amount of aggression with which St. Charles High played.

“They were better than I thought they were going to be, especially because it was their senior night so it was a big game for them,” Hayden said.

Sophomore Myles Estrada agrees St. Charles High School played a good game and gave Central a run for their money.

“Protecting the ball when it got crazy [was one of the most challenging parts],” Estrada said.

Estrada didn’t expect St. Charles to play so well, but he overcame this surprise and still played at his best.

“We’ve been watching a lot of film on them and talking about them at practice. They kept [the game] close at the end and we thought we were gonna do a little bit better,” Estrada said.

Senior Dareion Davis says the win didn’t come easy, but it boosted team morale and got them ready for the rest of this season’s games.

“One of the most challenging parts was rebound and free throws, but [winning] means a lot going into districts [because] it’s right around the corner, so it gives us confidence,” Davis said.

The FHC varsity basketball teams play their districts games tonight. The girls team pays at 4 p.m. and the boys team plays at 7 p.m. Follow the FHC Activities Department on twitter for updates on the games.