Two steps forward, one step back

The girls soccer team makes its way through the second week of its season playing Hazelwood West, Fort Zumwalt South and Timberland.

Tyler Tran, Staff Reporter

Coming off of a win against Hazelwood Central last Monday, the varsity girls soccer team played the team’s sister school, Hazelwood West, the following Wednesday. Hazelwood West struck first with an early goal in the first half, but as the game progressed, the girls got into a groove and got into the flow of the game. Passes began to connect smoothly, and the girls were able to maneuver their way up the field, setting up opportunities to score. The team pulled out a 3-1 victory with two goals by senior Jaclyn Zilch and one by senior Katie Wood.

With another victory under their belt, the team journeyed to Fort Zumwalt South on Friday to play the Bulldogs. From the start, the Bulldogs took control of the field, outplaying the girls both offensively and defensively, shutting down their offense and working their way around the Spartan’s defense.

“They were quicker to the ball, and they had more chances to score when we really didn’t have any. It was a rough game,” Wood said.

The Bulldogs ended up winning 4-0 over the Spartans.

On Tuesday, the girls christened the new turf field with a victory against Timberland. The Spartans came out strong in the first half, effectively moving the ball up the field and shutting down Timberland’s defense. Approximately halfway through the first half, Wood scored on a breakaway, cutting around the goalie and tapping the ball into the goal. The Wolves retaliated in the second half, aggressively working their way up into Spartan territory.

“We dominated, like, the whole game, but in the second half they had a lot more chances to score,” sophomore Madelyn Kreienheder said.

Early in the second half, Wood scored again in a similar fashion as her last goal, and from then on the Spartans managed to effectively fend off the Wolves, winning the game 2-0. The team will play again at home on Monday against Holt at 6 p.m.