Getting into the swing of things

Girls golf team uses preseason to improve communication and skills

Brittney Kennedy, Odyssey Executive Copy Editor

Getting better as a team is not always measured by the number of strokes. For the girls golf team this year, an obstacle towards the success of the team will be the unfamiliarity between new coach Mike Woods and the golfers for at least the start of the season. Sophomore Emma Wolf took note of the struggles that came with the new coach.

“It was rough at the beginning because the coach didn’t know us,” sophomore Emma Wolf said.

Yet, with a little communication, the team was able to get on the same page as the coach, and things began to run a little more smoothly, according to Wolf.

“After we talked about expectations for the team, things got better,” Wolf said.

Even though communication has been an improving aspect of the team, injuries can sometimes get in the way of progress. For senior Abigail Kaplan, an extra bone in her foot has her in a boot and has delayed her ability to practice with the team. Kaplan will not be seen playing in the first match but will rather be found on the side supporting her teammates.

Even with obstacles like communication and injuries, there will always be potential on a team. According to Kaplan, there are definitely some stand-outs on the team.

“Mackenzie McDowellis really good, she talked about playing golf in another state during the summer. Emma Wolf is another top player, too. Her, Mackenzie and Rachel Mossotti are our top players,” Kaplan said.

August 25 will be the first match taking place at Golf Club of Wentzville. It will attest to the hard work the team has already put in for the season thus far.