Here it goes again

Football team loses again at home

Abbie Kaplan

Running back Jordan Cooper tries to escape the tackler as the football teams falls to Fort Zumwalt South.

Daniel Tedder, Staff Reporter

Despite drizzly conditions, the football team faced off for its second game of the season against GAC rivals, Fort Zumwalt South. The atmosphere was full of energy as the football team ran in with the roar of a cheering crowd and student section.

South was dominant from the opening kick. On the first play of the game the Bulldogs returned junior Patrick Hoth’s kick for 85 yards down to the 3 yard line. Within the first 18 seconds of the game the Bulldogs were up 7-0. After marching down the field the next drive, the football team tied it up 7-7, on a Jordan Cooper touchdown run.

Despite this touchdown, the football team couldn’t pick up that spark they had the first drive and ended the half down by a considerable margin, 28-7. Senior Dyllan Lindsey spoke of the changes in the team’s mentality at half time.

We were caught off guard with their physicality to start off but we came into the locker room pissed off and ready to fight, “ Lindsey said.  

The football team came out hot and senior Frank Davis scored on a 30 yard touchdown run. The energy in the game immediately changed. The game became more physical from there out and a comeback appeared to be looming, explained junior Collin Etter.

“After the second touchdown we thought we could come back”, Etter said.

This idea came crashing down when the Bulldogs scored again on a pass through the air to stretch the lead back to 35-14.

The game ended, on this drizzly night, as the second loss on the season, a 35-14 blowout. This loss, however, seemed to ignite a fire under the team’s belly, and helped to highlight the team’s weaknesses, as explained by junior Devin Puni.

“We need to work on our defense, and be even more physical,” Puni said.

The football team will head out to face Fox this Friday, in an attempt to turn this season around.