Back with a bang

Chem Club has its second meeting of the year to get the ball rolling

Julia Becker

Senior Owen Carlson, President nominee grabs a drink from the front desk after the meeting

Kyra Barillier, Staff Reporter

The club that calls to all who love the small components of life and the notorious Mr. John Kozlowski, lovingly referred to as Mr. Koz, has finally had its second meeting of the year. The long awaited meeting was pushed off continuously due to scheduling conflicts.

Two year member junior Melanie Jones, a current student of AP Chemistry, attended the second meeting with a group of friends and played a role in the nominations.

“We discussed our plans for labs, nominated officer positions and we ate cupcakes,” Jones said. “I was nominated by Owen Carlson for historian because he thought it was funny that [senior] Luke Wilson, my boyfriend, was also nominated,” Jones said. “I also seconded a nomination for Owen for president and Clayton for sergeant of arms.”

Senior Owen Carlson, one of the two presidential nominations, is excited for his run against senior Tyler Tran.

“A lot of people think that Tran would be a shoo-in to win, but I would like to think I have a chance because I love chemistry and I want to make it an enjoyable experience for all,” Carlson said. “Be ready for a big debate for presidency.”

Senior Tara Parnacott, a member of Chem Club who is no longer in a chemistry class after completing AP Chemistry last year, was also at the meeting.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the debate over who should be the president for chemistry club because it is an important position for the club and alumni Shashank Nedungadi set the bar pretty high,” Parnacott said.

No matter the outcome, Chem Club is set up for a fun rest of the year with their projects including racing boats running on biodiesel made by the students, making ice cream, and studying the bonding between synthetic dyes and the cotton fibers of t-shirts.