Step up, stand out

What the walkouts really symbolize and what they truly mean to students

A+student+holds+a+handmade+sign+during+the+walkout.+Many+did+this+to+show+their+support+of+the+cause.+

Payton Amlong

A student holds a handmade sign during the walkout. Many did this to show their support of the cause.

Bella Davis, Staff reporter

Making a difference. Citizens hear about this in their everyday lives. We all strive to be like those who have already made a difference, especially when the opportunity is right on your front door. Something terrible has happened recently and the entire nation knows about it. Not only that, but mostly everyone wants to do something about it. People want to be noticed and want whatever is done to have an impact. Sophomore Bobby Pordea thinks that it is time for change and change itself is long overdue.

“It is time to show respect for those who lost their lives and who were injured,” Pordea said. “Most importantly, it is time to join with those who want to stand up and do something about it.”

For those who actually want change, and want something to be done, respect should be given. Most students question how a high school walkout could be effective. It always starts with one, and most students at FHC are choosing to have hope in the progression of telling society that enough is enough.

“Even if you are a part of a thousand people walking out, or if you are a part of three people walking out, your voice will still be heard no matter what.” Pordea said.

On the opposing side, some students do not think that a walkout is effective or even appropriate. Sophomore Caitlyn Brown, explains why she does not think walking out of school is the best way to make a stand.

“I do not like why everyone is walking out. It goes against what I think is right,” Brown said. “Half of the people that walked out were just walking out to skip class and that just is not okay.”

Students think people are trying to make an impact on an awful, growing situation. Those who are being fake and walking out for the wrong reasons just intoxicate the good that is being done. If students are putting in the effort to get others to join and make a difference, then they should have that opportunity without the students who are making a joke out of the entire situation.

“I do not believe what they are doing is going to help,” Brown said. “Not only that, but I do not think that this action is a good way to start a change.”

The students who are remaining neutral in this situation do not necessarily think that walkouts are bad, but they think that there are other ways to raise awareness. Sophomore Josiah Haan does not oppose what is already being done, but he thinks that there some other ideas that could be a better way to grab attention and get more people on board.

“I think there are better ways to address the situation. I think walking out is effective and may draw some attention,” Haan said. “However, there are other things that could do a lot more to address the subject.”

Haan is not the only one who feels this way. Walkouts are not the only option when trying to gain awareness and showing respect. For those who are opposed to the act of walking out of school, there could be other options.

Walkouts happened all over the nation and it is grabbing a lot of attention, but Haan thinks that there are other things that could also raise awareness and maybe even create more participation.

“There are other things we could do that does not encourage students to walk out of school,” Haan said. “Something like maybe talking to 17 new people in honor of the 17 who lost their lives could be pretty powerful too.”

There is power in action and many different things could be done, students just need to step out. People like Pordea would love to step into a leadership role when it comes to these events.

“I would love to do something about this and really be in the middle. A leadership role would be great and really interests me,” Pordea said.

At the end of the day, it is up to the students to take a stand at FHC if change really is wanted. And Pordea thinks it is about time that this happened.

“Enough is enough,” Pordea said. “I think it is time for people to realize what is going on around them and do something.