A fireside chat with Danny Radcliffe

Roughly two weeks ago I sat down — with about 500 other journalism students — and had a lovely interview with my childhood hero, FDR (Fantastic Daniel Radcliffe).

I’ll admit it, inside my mind I was screaming just as loud as every girl in that auditorium, not to mention my heart was undergoing the most irregular heartbeat it had ever experienced. I’ve never met a true celebrity. Sure, I’ve had my fair share of encounters with semi-famous musical artists, but nothing of caliber comparing to the presence (over video conference) of the most beloved wizard in the world.

What struck me most about Radcliffe was his hint of humbleness, that waft of humility. In short, he was very down to earth and friendly, with a sense of humor fit for a king. The king of my childhood dreams.

In his post-potter career, Radcliffe has come to know and love the realm of live theatre (playing J. Pierpont Finch in “How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying”), and has completed filming on to what seems to be the scariest movie release set up for 2012, “The Woman In Black.”

“It was one of those moments you must celebrate as an actor for being given the opportunity to both juggle and enjoy such diverse roles,” said Radcliffe.

When watching a trailer or teaser, I’ve never become as entered into a scary story by the pictures before me as much as “The Woman in Black” — based on the second longest running play in London. When asked about the film, Radcliffe was extremely proud of the scare factor but also the emotional impact regarding grief, loss, and the various paths people take in regards to dealing with death throughout the film.

“I never actually became scared [on the set of “The Woman in Black”], except for once when I passed by a room and saw Liz White, who plays the woman in black, out of my peripherals. When I went back to check, it was just her sitting in a chair eating a sandwich,” said a laughing Radcliffe, “The low point of filming was this scene when I had to be in a five-foot deep vat of freezing cold mud for two days straight — which is right up there with Quidditch in terms of how much I enjoyed it.”

Fortunately, my life-long struggle within is over. With the body of work Daniel Radcliffe is now producing, I think that I’m finally coming to terms with the end of an era — however close it will always be to my heart.

For questions, comments or concerns regarding Danny Radz, email me at [email protected] and I can tell you all about the greatest hour and ten minutes of my life.