To snap or not to snap?

Lately, more and more students, such as juniors Hayley Lechner and Kortney Sheahan, can be seen snapping photos of themselves or their friends. However, Lechner and Sheahan are not taking these to tweet, Facebook or Instagram, because the newest fad is here.

It’s called Snapchat. This app provides a different way to send a photo to friends. Unlike messaging, the photo can not be saved by the receiver and there is a time limit (set by the sender) as to how long the photo can be seen.

“I get to send embarrassing pictures of myself and my friends, then they send them to me and make me laugh,” Lechner said.

This is the draw to Snapchat: the ability to send multiple photos quickly, unafraid and carefree. Snapchat is different than usual messaging, but the sender can still send a message along with the snap. There is a tool to draw on the photo or type a message.

“Every time you get a picture, you never know what you’re going to open,” Sheahan said.

Snapchat allows any photos to be sent without fear of embarrassment or blackmail, as the photo cannot be saved. Even “the duckface” pose is allowed. By experience, it is determined that the most popular Snapchat poses include the “stuck-out tongue”, the “shock and awe”, and the classic wink. These snaps can relay emotions or messages themselves to the receiver.

“I like making myself have bug eyes and sticking my tongue out,” Sheahan said.

Although the lifespan of Snapchat is unknown, the app has been around for more than a year. This is not realized by many users because it has recently become more popular at FHC.

“I think the Snapchat fad will stick around for a few months maybe,” said Lechner.

Snapchat is a great way to send funny or embarrassing photos to friends; however, it is advised to send wisely! There is a possibility that your friend can snap a screenshot before the time is up if they’ve got speedy fingers. Use the app wisely and, please, no crude snaps.