The thriftiest of shoppers

“Fashion anticipates, and elegance is a state of mind … a mirror of the time in which we live, a translation of the future, and should never be static.” – Oleg Cassini

Fashion changes on a monthly, sometimes even weekly, basis. Being fashion-forward is usually seen as being expensive and for celebrities, but fashion can be converted into an everyday thing for anyone if he or she really tries.

I suppose I should introduce myself before I go telling you I don’t agree with your fashion sense. I’m Margaret Borgmeyer, a senior. I spend the majority of my time rehearsing, thrift store shopping, drinking tea, Googling pictures of kittens, painting my nails and tumbling.

This blog is intended to be a fashion blog, but will not always be a long story about how I hate UGG boots. Ideally, you will be able to come to my blog for tutorials on how to reconstruct clothing, how to style certain clothing items, the top ten trends of the week and so on. You may ask what authority I have over fashion, but quite honestly, I have none. But my personal taste tends to follow what is popular in the fashion world.

I spend a good amount of time thrift store shopping; I see no need for anyone to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on two outfits. That’s just silly. Yesterday, I went to Goodwill, where the workers even know me by name. I purchased a blue with white polka dot, high waisted, a-line skirt for $1.50; I have found similar skirts at department stores like Macy’s for around $15.00.

The thing about thrift stores is you have to be willing to try on ANYTHING. Usually, the things that seem like they will be the absolute ugliest when worn are the most fashionable; nothing from a thrift store looks good on a hanger.

It can be difficult to buy clothing from thrift stores because vintage clothing sizes are different. SO, before traveling to the nearby Goodwill, I would strongly suggest figuring out your sizes. The easiest trick is to simply double your current size. For instance, if you wear a dress or skirt size seven, when vintage clothes shopping, look for a size 14. You may have to safety pin the waists of skirts, but safety pins can be easily covered by a bow, flower or belt.

When buying pants, it is important to KNOW your measurements. Although the waist of a vintage garment may fit you at a 12, the length of the pants may run short. I have never bought a pair of pants from a thrift store that I have not hemmed or refitted, so be ready to do the same. Vintage clothing can be quite the downer when trying on, simply because the sizes are so much larger. But hey, Marilyn Monroe was a 12! SO, do not let sizing get you down; clothing items can always be re-sized, reconstructed and refashioned.