Inside of the Music

When I was a little kid, I used to watch this Disney Channel movie called Treasure Planet, released in 2002, with my dad. It was kind of a silly cartoon, and I’m not really sure why I liked it so much, but I did. The movie is basically about this rebellious kid, Jim, who finds himself with the help of a greedy, half – robotic pirate.

When we moved about five or six years ago, we lost the DVD for the movie and the soundtrack which held one of our favorite songs. The song is titled “I’m Still Here,” and was released as a single by John Rzeznik from the Goo Goo Dolls. I decided to write about that song, because it is special to me, and it also came up while I was listening to my ipod before I started writing my blog.

And I want a moment to be real

Wanna touch things I don’t feel

Jim is rebellious, but with a defined motivation. He wants, like many of us, to be able to stand on something solid, and be able to put full faith into it without feeling like it is going to fall through.

Wanna hold on and feel I belong

This line is pretty basic. Jim wants somewhere that he does feel accepted and at ease, which is one of the reasons why he is so rebellious.

And how can the world want me to change?

They’re the ones that stay the same

They don’t know me

Cause I’m not here

The “world,” or rather Jim’s mother and several other characters who act very condescendingly towards Jim, cause his feelings of being unaccepted and insecure. They are always staying the same, and never try to do anything but walk in the exact same steps they take every other day of their lives. I think the last two lines are very interesting. He tells the audience that no one knows him because he’s not really there. Meaning, Jim is invisible to those people. The person he truly is and can be is forced deep down inside of him and not allowed to come up, otherwise he will be looked down upon.