Let the madness begin

I know exactly what I’m in for in November. Believe it or not, I’m writing a novel. Yes, in November. And it will be at least 50,000 words long. I feel like it’s a good time to say that no, I’m not actually insane. I’m a writer. Which is basically a socially acceptable reason to be eccentric beyond all reason.

The task at hand is called NaNoWriMo, an amusing shorthand for National Novel Writing Month — and it takes place every November, with thousands of would-be and actual published novelists taking the plunge and writing a full, complete first draft in 30 days.

People who don’t like writing probably have one very essential question on their minds: Why would you do something like this? Isn’t it like self-inflicted pain of English class multiplied ten fold? Seriously, are you sure you’re not insane? And, well, the reason I do this is simple: the mad creative rush of just writing will produce the most awful prose and occasionally amazing prose. The point is, If you take the challenge on, you’re not procrastinating anymore. You’re writing that novel that you never have time for.

And writing roughly 1,600 words a day is a journey filled to the brim with characters who refuse to do as they’re told, midnight writing sessions, freaking out about your computer dying, talking to yourself and the glorious phrase, ‘Shut up, I’m writing a novel.’

So this month you’ll get an update from NaNo ‘11 every week, with musings, rants, and the ravings of a frustrated writer. One thing’s for sure: when December rolls around, I’ll add a third year to my NaNo roster and be left with the vague impression that things besides my novel happened.