Football falls in homecoming game

Spartans lose to Fort Zumwalt West 47-24

Sophomore Sybree Itayem, 56, crosses the field as Spartans prepare to line up

The student section was packed to the max as the football team fought a hard battle against Fort Zumwalt West for its homecoming game last Friday however the game resulted in a loss to the Jaguars with a final score of 47-24. Touchdowns were scored by senior running back Jordon Cooper, sophomore wide receiver Dylan Thaxton, and points were scored by senior kicker Patrick Hoth.

The Spartans started strong in the first quarter as they received the opening kickoff and Cooper had a 60-yard run down to Jaguars 18 for the first play. Hoth made a 33-yard kick and scored three points for the Spartans. The jaguars responded with a four-yard touchdown run, making the score 7-3.

Second quarter started with a 66-yard touchdown pass by the Jaguars which was returned with a four-yard touchdown run by Cooper and an 80-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Jackson Berck to Thaxton. West ended the quarter with an 11-yard touchdown run without an extra point, sending the Spartans into second quarter down 20-17.

No points were scored by the Spartans in the third quarter and West scored with a one-yard run and a 53-yard run which made the score 34-17.

Cooper started off fourth quarter with a two-yard touchdown run which was returned with two touchdowns at the end of the last quarter by West ending the game with a final score of 47-24.

Though they did not win, the Spartans were still proud of the way they played against  what is considered to be a tough team.

“I don’t think anyone thought that we were going to be able to compete with them, it was just really exciting the first half,” Cooper said.

“From what people were saying, we were supposed to get beat pretty bad, but I thought we did pretty well after the game,” Hoth said.

This Friday, Spartans will travel to Francis Howell to take on longtime rivals, the Vikings at 7 p.m.