Make way for ‘October’s Finest’

It’s no secret that my musical taste encompasses a wide variety of genres and styles. Although it still comes as a surprise to most everyone the integral role that hip-hop and rap music plays in my everyday life.

My first blog referenced my favorite rap album of all time, Kanye West’s “Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” of 2010. At that point and time I thought that no other album would ever come close to the genius that was showcased in that LP. I was wrong.

Officially released Tuesday, Drake’s 3rd album, “Take Care,” is currently competing for the pedestal of my favorite hip-hop album. Drake presents 16 songs on the album, most of which present an emotional equivalence of songs off the ever melancholy, yet defiant “19” and “21” albums released by British singer, Adele (referenced by former ‘Outkast’ headman, Andre 3000 in “The Real Her”).

Much like when I listen to Adele, I would die for the chance to punch the collective past of Drake in the face. Each consecutive song off the album is a surprisingly introspective dissection into the money and fame, the problems and woes, and the genius of Drake.

His concept songs are unparalleled by all others. The classics are ‘Marvin’s Room’—a story of a man, home, drunk from a night of clubbing and promiscuity, calling the ex he still loves—and the title track, ‘Take Care’—a subdued track with a rolling drum beat and light house-esque piano detailing the love of two artists (Drake and Rihanna) both hurt by each other, but willing to trust and help the opposite through their scarred lives.

Even if you’re not a regular to the rap music scene I recommend picking up “”Take Care.” Drake is different than a lot of his predecessors. His music is usually less abrasive beats and pointless swearing, and more often than not, a slow, clever, and smooth delivery of a life that never ceases to amaze and impress.

Regardless of Drake’s blatant disrespect, vulgarity and profanity, none can argue that the man is charming as all get out. Much like the fellow that made Adele’s life a living hell, I would never want to be labeled the woman that put poor Drizzy through a world of pain.

“May your neighbors respect you,

Trouble neglect you,

Angels protect you,

And Heaven accept you.”

Like always, questions, comments, and concerns should be directed to [email protected]–that is unless you’re the woman who broke Drake’s heart. In such a case, you should probably just cease to exist.