Girls come out triumphant at first home game

The girls basketball team held their first home game as a Toys for Tots fundraiser

Ashley Gault

Riley Wilson dribbles the ball down the court to score a point for Francis Howell Central.

The girls basketball team held its first home game Monday, Dec. 7th. The girls played against Holt and although close, had an extremely successful game. The girls left the game with a score of 55-52.

Senior Riley Wilson played in the game and was awfully surprised at the game’s turn out.

“It was bigger than I expected. I wasn’t aware the A Band was going to be there, so that was a lot, and then there was a lot of students there for the toys for tots,” Wilson said.

Freshman Yaniah Curry played her first home game and felt the rush of a new experience with hundreds watching her enter the court.

“There was a lot of people. I love the band, they always get me so hype for the game. I could just stop what I was doing and dance. The band was great, and the student section was pretty good too,” Curry said.

The girls prepared for this game with a lot of hard work and time put into their practices.

“I don’t think any of us really knew the final score or how that game would end because the year before it wasn’t in our favor, but I know this year we came in ready to give it back to them,” Wilson said. “We did a lot of film preparation and practice.”

Curry, although a freshman, felt no nerves entering the game. She felt as if Coach Leake  had prepared the team for anything they would come up against.

“Going into the game I felt very prepared. I think Coach Leake is really doing some great things and she knows what she’s doing,” Curry said. “We knew the personnel and what each of their different star players were like.”

In addition to being the first home game of the season, it was the annual Toys for Tots game. The game usually has a larger turnout due to the excitement of the newness and the charitable cause.

“The toys for tots went well, I heard a lot of people brought in different toys. It was a really good fundraiser,” Curry said.

The first game of the season was highly successful, the air was filled with the buzz of excitement, and only the best can be expected of the upcoming games.

“I think a lot of people know how fun our games will be, and that’ll help us get a lot of crowds,” Wilson said.