Hush, hush

Much like if a tree falls in the middle of the woods and no one is around to hear it, if a wonderful band plays their heart out for five years and the public never really takes notice, did they ever really make an impact?

My favorite music label ‘Fueled By Ramen’ had one of the largest influences on the early 21st century music scene sporting bands such as “Fall Out Boy,” “Paramore,” and “Panic! At The Disco.” But there were countless other bands on the label, and whenever I would go out to see a ‘Panic!’ or FOB or “Cute Is What We Aim For” concert, you could almost bet that “The Hush Sound” would be one of the opening acts.

Greta Salpeter and Bob Morris were the founders and masterminds behind the unique indie vibe to the band’s sound. After three full-length albums, the band had decided to go on an indefinite hiatus (the nice way of saying “We’re breaking up.”) Many say their unfortunate misgivings stemmed from the frustration of never really being discovered.

Unfortunately, as time went by, the band was tragically overlooked (though the fault did not lie in their music) “Like Vines” is one of my favorite albums, and their sound is as unique as one comes across these days. Their live demeanor was also next to none. There’s something about a band rocking out onstage with a grand piano that really makes a solid performance.

Nevertheless, I continue to listen to them religiously — much the same as FOB, my other love lost on an indefinite hiatus. One song in particular, “You Are The Moon,” really gets to me. As weird as it might be, it’s a song I want played at my funeral if the human race doesn’t figure out immortality in the next few years. The song is simple. Greta sits at her piano, sings it, and it’s done. Everything that happens in between is a blur of beautiful for my ears.

If you’d like any recommendations on other songs to check out by them just shoot me an email at [email protected].