Into the darkness

At 9:31 a.m., students in classes were encouraged to take out their cell phones so they could continue working. Due to a power outage in the middle of class, students had to find alternative motives to continue doing work and learning lessons.

“We just went on like normal because we had cell phone and flashlight light and we took turns holding lights,” Mrs. Ashley Wager said.

Although Mrs. Wager encouraged students to continue working, students’ teachers in other classes had other plans for the blackout.

“I’m a little scared of the dark,” senior Katie Janis said. “At least Mr. Le did his best to keep us engaged during class and his shadow puppets did just that today.”

Students in classes like Mr. Steve Le’s took the chance at a work break by browsing Twitter, Facebook, phone applications or just doing nothing.

“The best part about blackouts is not having to work,” senior Brenden Fischer said. “Because I am a senior, I will take any excuse not to work.”

While Fischer enjoyed the break, sophomore Austin Harris still had to find a way to continue to work.

“We went in the hallway and started working again,” Harris said. “I don’t think we will get out of school, but I think the power will be out for another hour.”

Along with Harris, students in exterior classrooms, such as junior Bailey Hight, continued their lessons since they had some light available.

“When the power went out, it didn’t affect our class that much because we had windows that let light in, but when it came to the smart board, we had to improvise and work around it,” Hight said.

Though some classes had alternative assignments they could do, if the power outage would have lasted any longer, some teachers, such as Mrs. Jessica Rowe, would have had no other lessons to do.

“The black out didn’t affect me that much during third hour since I didn’t have a class at the time, but if it would have lasted throughout the day, my classes wouldn’t have had anything to do,” Mrs. Rowe said. “My lessons today required technology, so it just shows our dependence on technology.”

After about a half hour of darkness, the lights flickered and at 9:58a.m., the lights returned to full brightness. As students moaned with their chance of going home early crushed and teachers sighed with relief to return to their lesson plans, the hectic schedule was adjusted and changed to return to normal after 4B lunch.