A league of their own

It all started with “Iron Man.” When Nick Fury popped up following the credits and spoke of the so-called “Avenger Initiative,” millions of nerds like me began to shed tears of joy. This was confirmation the Avengers would finally assemble on the big screen, and thus, the Marvel Cinematic Universe was born.

Fast forward four years into the future and “The Avengers” is now the highest grossing superhero film of all time. Marvel’s puzzle pieces, consisting of Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, and Captain America, have finally been pieced together. Up next is phase two, which will feature sequels of “Iron Man,” “Thor,” “Captain America,” and “The Avengers,” along with the addition of “Ant-Man” and “Guardians of the Galaxy,” which will star the lovable Rocket Raccoon.

What Marvel has discovered with the “Avenger Initiative” is a goldmine. As a whole, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has raked in a combined total of $3 billion. Of course, this has opened the eyes of Marvel’s arch nemesis, DC Entertainment. A dastardly one, DC, along with its partner in crime, Warner Bros., is seeking to obtain the same commercial success with their own alliance of superheroes: the Justice League.

Warner Bros. made its intentions clear when news broke over the summer that Will Beall was hired to write the screenplay for the Justice League movie. A Justice League film has been rumored for years, but nothing had seen the light of day. Now, with Beall working on a script, a movie is finally in the works. But the question is, who’s going to direct it? Christopher Nolan, Warner Bros.’ go-to-guy, already made it known that he wants nothing to do with a Justice League movie. So, who’s Warner Bros.’ plan B? Ben Affleck.

Earlier this month, rumors began to spread like wildfire that Affleck would be the one to finally bring a Justice League movie to life. Now, don’t get the wrong idea. Affleck has been a pleasant surprise as far as directing goes. “The Town” was critically acclaimed, and his upcoming film “Argo” could be just as good; however, Affleck has a thing for starring in movies he directs. Put two and two together and you could predict that Affleck could be starring as the next Batman. Luckily, Affleck’s posse has stated he has no desire to direct the Justice League movie, and so the bullet has been dodged.

Nonetheless, there are still a multitude of problems. If Warner Bros. is eyeing a 2015 release (in order to compete with “The Avengers 2”), how are they going to build up the movie? Three years is not enough time to produce, promote, and release Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Flash movies. And what about Batman? There’s no way Nolan’s realistic Batman would fit into the over-the-top world of the Justice League. A reboot would be necessary, and to be honest, I’m still recovering from the awesomeness that was “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Besides, Warner Bros. is late to the party. Simply emulating the success of “The Avengers” would be unoriginal. What Warner Bros. needs to do is take a completely different route and separate themselves from Marvel. If this means I have to wait another ten years for a Justice League flick to hit the theaters, then so be it. Rocket Raccoon will hold me over until then.