Be true to your school

I left my house two times this weekend.

As the resident guru on how to tackle boredom and turn to self-improvement, I struggled through potentially one of the most boring weekends of my life. But I made it. And here’s how.

My first venture into the world outside my bedroom occurred on Friday evening when I attended, along with several hundred other members of Spartan Nation, the first home football game of the season.

I don’t care if you vehemently despise everything athletics related, it is darn near impossible to go to one of our football games and have a bad time.

My own personal experience included being taught how to properly dance to House of Pain’s 1992 hit “Jump Around,” leading the Spartan Regiment onto the field at halftime for our debut performance, and joining the cheerleaders and the 300 in cheering our team on to an unfortunate defeat.

The atmosphere at a home game remains relatively consistent, regardless of how many points we’ve scored in comparison to our visitors. The cheerleaders and Sensations always represent. The band always plays. The athletes always strive for a win.

The key element in the experience, however, is the fans. At the home opener and Homecoming game, there is no want for school spirit. Faces are painted blue and silver, chants are composed with the players’ names, the stands are filled with Spartans, all enthusiastic and supportive of their team. Being a part of something so big and special is a lasting experience.

It’s not about the football. It’s not about the plays, the score, this tackle or that touchdown. It’s about the fans. It’s about the spirit.

You don’t have to enjoy sports to have a good time. You’re already a part of Spartan Nation just by going to school here. Be a part of the team. Come out to a game. Make some new friends. Support your cheerleaders, Sensations, and Spartan Regiment, who all work tirelessly to make each home game something spectacular. Don’t let your high school experience go to waste. Seize every opportunity to be a part of this great community.

The next home game is this Friday. Where will you be?