G.O.O.D. to go

Before I start this entry, I would like everyone to know my layout for the next three weeks of blogging. Tuesday was “awesome-music-release day” as The Killers released “Battle Born” (which was considerably less awesome than expected), Ben Folds Five released “The Sound Of The Life Of The Mind,” and Kanye West and his G.O.O.D. Music Label released “Cruel Summer.”

These are their stories. (But I’m only covering “Cruel Summer” today, sorry for the disappointment, I just really wanted to quote Law & Order SVU.)

After the release of his redemptive album, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” Kanye West stated, “As a man, I am flawed — but my music is perfect.”

At least the man is truthful, who are you to tell him he’s wrong?

The full album title. “Kanye West Presents Good Music Cruel Summer” sets the mood for the victory lap the album embodies. Artists in Kanye’s majorly successful label include refined acts, John Legend, Common, and Kid Cudi, along with young rappers about to break through like Pusha T and Big Sean. The acronym stands for “getting out our dreams,” and nothing could be more true.

My particular favorites change on the daily, but after my first couple listens, I’d say that the opening track, “To The World [feat R. Kelly]” is most definitely a stand out.

The opening instrumentals are reminiscent of an epiphany — the dream-like philosophies of ‘MBDTF’ are long gone, replaced with the surefooted, eye-opening anthem led by vivacious vocals from the nearly forgotten R. Kelly.

Kanye’s music never lets up and he brings all other artists up to his level — that’s the beauty of it. Track after track, “Cruel Summer” takes you on the joyride of your life.

Fellow G.O.O.D. Music artist, Big Sean, really shines on tracks like “Clique” and the universal favorite, “Mercy,” always managing to grab my attention. I’ve never given much of his solo music much of a chance, but I plan on giving him a shot.

I expect some additional tracks being released in the upcoming weeks as well, Kanye almost always releases a few extras that didn’t make the cut for the album through his website kanyewest.com.

Direct your questions, comments, and concerns to [email protected] or tweet @thehippestcat. I’ll tackle “Battle Born” in next week’s blog, but until then I suggest giving “Cruel Summer” a go, rap fan or not.

In G.O.O.D. we trust.