Worth of Yesterday Part II

Last week I posted some breaking news about a former local band called Worth of Tomorrow. Last Saturday, the frontman of Worth of Tomorrow junior Gordon Wade decided to part ways with the band, ultimately resulting in it’s destruction (I use that word lightly). This week I’m delving deeper into the story after some encouragement from the other band members.

First off I’d like everyone to join me in a moment of silence for the loss of a great local band …

Right then. Now for the part you’re interested in. I asked the rest of the band four simple questions that I believe provide an appropriate insight into how each member was affected. Juniors Spencer Foust (lead guitar) and James Smotherman (bass/vocals) and senior Tyler Gritt were asked the following questions:

1. When did you find out about Gordon’s leaving of the band?

2. How did you feel when you first found out?

3. How do you feel about the break up now?

4. What do you hope the future holds in store for you?

Spencer Foust:

(1) “Towards the end of Homecoming night, he pulled me aside and said he had to talk to me. It took less than 10 minutes, but overall he told me ‘I think I want to quit the band,’ and I just listened. He wanted me to ask more questions.”

(2) “Apathetic at first, but it sort of annoyed me the next couple of days as to what I wanted to do now that this was over.”

(3) “Now I’m kind of glad [Worth of Tomorrow] is over. The fun really has come and gone, even if it wasn’t quite over for some of us. I wasn’t very much of a fan of some of our upbeat and poppy songs.”

(4) “I hope to eventually reach a point where the music I help write isn’t about some girl, or some whiny stories about break ups anymore. I want to finally start writing music with real world applications, music that can express the thoughts and ideas of a generation rather than just the confines of an over zealous lyricist’s conscious.”

James Smotherman:

(1) “He told me, as in an actual conversation person to person, on the Sunday following all of the events. I was informed soon after it happened by another member.”

(2) “At the moment I was told I was trying to think if it was just another small band fight or if this time it was truly over. When he personally told me it had already gone through my head a bit and I couldn’t disagree that the fun had come and gone by now.”

(3) “As sad as I am when I can’t say ‘I’m in a band,’ I am kind of relieved that I don’t have to take any of the stress that comes around it. No more practice every monday. No more making sure I am off of work for a show. No more management of band funds. And my joints thank me for no more amp carrying.”

(4) ”I am probably just going to relax. I might look to play some heavier stuff with some friends, but nothing too serious.”

Tyler Gritt:

(1) “Gordon came up to me toward the end of homecoming saturday night

after he had already told Spencer.”

(2) “I was completely shocked.”

(3) “Me and him talked about it and some things he said I agreed with, others I didn’t. But, it’s his choice, and he wanted to leave. As he said, he wrote a lot of the music and we used all his equipment. So with Gordon goes the band.

“For a while I thought maybe I would try and keep it alive but then I realized that it would be like Kiss without Gene Simmons or U2 without Bono. It just wasn’t going to work. The important thing is that we all are OK with the split and everything is on good terms. Gordon, Jimmy, Spencer and myself are still friends.”

(4) “As for the future, part of me is sad that we split and part of me is happy. I think I’m going to experiment with writing some of my own stuff, but I’m definitely not going to stop playing music anytime soon. It’s been a big part of my life and it’s something that I really enjoy.”

All in all, Saturday, Sept. 22 was a sad day for not only FHC and its students, but also the local music scene. Keep your heads up high children. We lost a good band full of cool cats, but none of them are done. Keep an eye and ear out for what’s to come. Follow me on Twitter @ryanthesilver and email me at [email protected] with any questions, comments, or for a shoulder to cry on.

Oh, and by the way, I’m always on the lookout for new bands to listen to and write about, so if you or someone you know is in a band, send me their way.