We’re not in Smallville anymore

It’s hard to believe that the CW’s golden child “Smallville” ended over one year ago after 10 seasons, but the network has delivered yet another live-action series based on a DC Comics trademark. This time, however, the CW is trading in the cape for the bow and arrow with their latest television series, “Arrow.”

“Arrow” is the retelling of the tragically overlooked hero, Green Arrow, in a contemporary setting. The pilot episode opens with Oliver Queen’s rescue from a remote island in the middle of the Pacific. Queen was believed to be dead after a violent storm wrecked his boat that was carrying his father, his girlfriend’s sister, and some family friends. When he returns to his hometown of Starling City, Queen, alienated from his family and friends, uses the skills he obtained while surviving on the island to fight crime and save his dying city.

Queen’s first nemesis is Arthur Hull, a millionaire who has scammed many of Crystal City’s citizens. Queen knows Hull’s secret, and many other millionaire’s, through his father’s final testimony that he revealed to his son as he passed away. Queen compiles a hit-list of millionaires, which will ultimately be the focal point of the series.

Oliver Queen, a.k.a. Green Arrow, may not be the most appealing superhero. In fact, one may ask why a live-action series wasn’t created for heroes the likes of Batman or Flash? Well, DC may be looking to expose a different audience to one of DC’s oldest characters. Judging by the pilot episode, DC is headed in the right direction. With the modern setting, the retold story of Green Arrow is “hip.” At times, however, it may be a little too hip, with the teenage lingo and the rambunctious parties the feature dubstep.

Besides, Green Arrow’s origin is not all that different from that of Batman’s. In fact, the similarities are uncanny. Much like Bruce Wayne, Oliver Queen is a billionaire playboy whose life is turned upside down following a tragic event. If you could get past the fact that Green Arrow is Robin Hood on steroids, it’s very easy to get into the character and what makes him tick.

“Arrow’s” debut was impressive, yet whether this show will be successful in the long run is still up in the air. The show has a lot going for it; the grittiness, the comic book feel, and the emotional story is all there. However, it just doesn’t have what “Smallville” had: a name. “Smallville” was the origin of arguably the most popular superhero of them all, Superman, whereas “Arrow” is the story of, well, Green Arrow. While it may hold the interest of comic book nerds like myself, for the average fan that was captivated by “Smallville,” that question still remains.

I know I will continue to watch “Arrow,” which airs on Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on the CW. Like I said, the pilot episode sparked my interest. But the only thing that made me doubt the show was the soap opera vibe I got from it. The sometimes cheesy emotional scenes and the whole situation with Queen and his girlfriend’s sister made me feel like I was watching an over-the-top version of “Days of our Lives.” But what do I know? I’m not that big of a soap opera fan.