The last note of the season

Band had its final competition over the weekend of Nov. 3 at Mizzou. Of the bands competing, the FHC marching band took 3rd place in their class and made it to finals, which means that they were one of the ten best bands of the day.

Mr. Nathan Griffin, the band director, was happy with the band’s progress over the season.

“[Getting 3rd place] was one of the best scores we’ve ever had at Mizzou,” Mr. Griffin said. “[It] went great.”

The band has also grown as a team. Since the seniors left last year, the band has been somewhat green with its new members, who had very little experience in the beginning but have grown since.

“For such a young group, the band has really grown, especially in the last few weeks. They matured together and it really showed, especially in rehearsals,” said Mr. Griffin. “We always talk about how success doesn’t happen on the contest day, but the days leading up to it. [They] really started to show that towards the end of the season, thus the success at the last contest.”

Senior Matthew Cochran, the front section leader, agrees with Mr. Griffin’s sentiment. He has been heavily involved in marching band and other school band activities through the years.

“We did fantastic,” Cochran said. “I think it was a great way to end the year for the seniors. Mizzou really means a lot to them. The freshmen are more seasoned now, since they’ve been through their first season.”

As for future plans, Mr. Griffin is now focusing his attention on the concerts on Dec. 5 and 6. Cochran, on the other hand, is looking further into the future.

“I can’t wait to come back and see what the band has to offer next year as an alumni,” Cochran said.