The best cure for a struggling heart

Life has always been rough on me; a serious depression lingers under the makeshift mask I make for myself, thoughts of shame and humiliation feed the self-doubt that I can’t seem to shake. Nonchalant, and even happy, looks people give me in the hallway spark the thought in my head that they assume that I am worthless and not needed, just to realize later that those thoughts were a reflection of how I feel about myself.

By this point in my life, I’m pretty much used to these feelings and thoughts, although the pain isn’t any easier to handle. But recently, I have had, I guess you can say, a glimpse of who I really am. My life finally seems to be turning around for the better.

I can’t quite give a full and direct answer to why I’m gaining the feeling that I am worth something. I can, however name a big part of this change: my boyfriend Zachary Harrellson. He has always been an amazing friend to me, even though we met in second grade because I punched him in the back out of anger.

Everything we’ve been through since then has made a huge impact on who I am today. Even after expressing all of these thoughts I have about myself, Zach treats me like I’m important and shows me that I do matter. It’s not easy hanging out with someone who constantly complains that they’re not good enough for anything, but somehow Zach pulls it off. It’s amazing how much happier someone can make a person feel just by being there for them.

I can never thank Zach enough for everything he has done for me. He’s an amazing friend, boyfriend, and just a good person in general. Seeing how much he cares about me is what helps me see myself as someone that deserves more than I originally thought.

In a way, Zach saved me; he saved me from the negative thoughts that cloud my mind, even if the thoughts still come back occasionally. Sometimes all you need is a single person to completely turn the way you think about life around and the friendship you gain from that can cure unimaginable things.

If you have any questions about me or this blog, you can message me on Facebook or follow me on Instagram and Twitter @UltmtNarutoFan1.