Children’s shows send message to young viewers

With the rise in use of television, video games and most of all computers, children are often the target of advertising for unhealthy “junk food.” Because they are infinitely more susceptible to the messages that any other age group, this has easily assisted the ever-growing child obesity rate. Many sources of these messages are beginning to realize their impact and are changing their tune. This has become most apparent in the popular television show “Sesame Street.”

There were many rumors that “Sesame Street’s” lovable Cookie Monster would be turned to the “Carrot Monster” or the “Veggie Monster,” but this is entirely false according to snopes.com. Cookie Monster, though, does eat far less than he used to and is a good example of eating in moderation. He is also many times shown eating fruit. His influential role in the children’s show is used to encourage the many children who idolize him to eat healthily and in moderation during the most crucial part of their lives, when they are most susceptible to media messages.

Maybe if our society wasn’t so lazy and apathetic and actually stopped to consider what influence we have on our younger generations like PBS has through “Sesame Street,” obesity wouldn’t be such a huge problem. Maybe if the media industry was forced to moderate its influence or make its influence on young children more beneficial, like Sesame Street, we would be a healthier and more active nation. Regardless of the situation, obesity is problem of increasing severity and needs to be dealt with before it gets completely out of hand.