2010 sparks new debates

In less than a year’s time, elections and their campaigns will surface across the nation. Familiar again will be the debates, excitement, and tension leading up to the 2010 midterm elections. The candidates will engage their opponents on issues of national concern.

“The economy is the most important issue that needs to be addressed,” said moderate senior Brad DiMariano. “So far, no one has been able to ensure jobs. They need to help the average American, who is struggling in the aftermath of the slew of market sectors that went under.”

Other important issues arising in the elections are illegal immigration and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Liberal senior Alex Evans sees public opinion leaning towards the Republicans.

“With how Obama’s been doing in office, the moderates will vote Republican,” said Evans. “I find in particular the health care plan he’s pushing through Congress is too much. While I’m for public health care, the plan is too expensive.”

Evans feels that Obama has not been keeping his promises, especially when it comes to same-sex marriage.

“There is no reason why gay marriage should be illegal,” said Evans. “[Marriage] should be done through the courts, where it is not an issue because of separation of church and state.”

Republican senior Chris Pile believes domestic security is more vital than any other issue.

“The United States could better domestic security by fighting a brutal and unconventional enemy with brutal and unconventional means,” said Pile. “We need to show the world we will not be intimidated by terrorism or guerrilla tactics, but we need to strike back with even more lethal means than our foes.”

Since Democrats have control of both chambers of Congress, Republicans need to win 78% of the contested Senate seats to have a majority. Elections will be held for every House seat, where the Democrats are leading the Republicans: 256 to 178.

“Republicans need to embrace fiscal conservatism,” said Pile. “They need to rebuild their reputation as the true stewards of public finance. We need Republicans to hold true to their values by curbing spending and slashing taxes.”

Political analysis and predictions from Sabato’s Crystal Ball, The Cook Political Report, and The Rothenberg Political Report, mark many states (Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Missouri, New Hampshire, and Ohio) as tossups.

“It would be really interesting to see who wins at this point because there is a certain stigma against both Democrats and Republicans for not helping to jump-start the economy,” said DiMariano.