Toyota recalls faulty car models

Toyota Motor Corp. issued its second car recall on Jan. 21 of this year after already recalling 4.3 million vehicles late last year.

The first recall is for “Floor Mat Entrapment,” an issue where there is “the potential for an unsecured or incompatible driver’s floor mat to interfere with the accelerator pedal and cause it to get stuck in the wide-open position,” said Toyota.com.

The second recall is a “Pedal” issue where “there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.”

The models that are affected by this recall are the 2005-2010 Avalon, 2010 Prius, 2007-2010 Camry, 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2008-2010 Sequoia, 2008-2010 Highlander, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2004-2009 Prius, and 2009-2010 VENZA.

Mrs. Shannon Latzke, theater teacher, drives an ’08 Prius which is affected by the floor mat recall.

“When the recall came out a while ago, I called the dealer, and they said they were waiting for Toyota to issue a protocol for handling the repairs,” said Mrs. Latzke.

This brings up the question as to whether or not people should still buy Toyota cars. Akio Toyoda, the president of Toyota Motor Corp., recently wrote an article in the Washington Post stating Toyota has a “plan to repair its public image.”

“We have not lived up to the high standards you have come to expect from us. I am deeply disappointed by that and apologize. As the president of Toyota, I take personal responsibility,” said Toyoda in his article.

Toyoda went on to describe a three step plan which includes an Automotive Center of Quality Excellence in the United States, a blue-ribbon safety advisory group, and a more aggressive addressing of consumer complaints.

“I’m not sure what to think because on the one hand, if I were to buy a Toyota, there’s a chance that there could be something wrong with it, but on the other hand, [the recall] shows that they are a responsible company,” said junior John Daniel Gresham.

Much like Gresham, Mrs. Latzke believes that Toyota is a good company and will overcome any problems that they will have.

“Toyota is having a few issues right now, but they have a history as a company that makes solid, long-lasting cars. I have not personally had any issues with my Prius; I really enjoy it and will probably buy another,” said Mrs. Latzke.