An unexpected factor

There are numerous factors that a play a role in deciding which college is right for you. The majors offered, the location, the price and the size of the school are some of the bigger ones. However, there is another factor that is becoming a big deciding point. One I am not entirely sure is a good thing: athletics.

When I watch collegiate sports, I see the student sections getting rowdy and going crazy. I want to be a part of that at whatever college I decide to attend. I know it is a really small piece in the overall puzzle of college, but for me it is sticking out as a major factor in deciding where I want to go.

For example, the school I am most determined to attend is Seton Hall University. I love the size, the excellent program they offer for my major and the location. But, they do not have a football team nor a very spirited fan base. I know this should only play a small part in my decision, but for some reason it is turning me off more than it should.

I know that the academic portion of college is far more important than the athletic portion in the long run, but at the same time I want to have a memorable college experience from a athletic perspective. I want to attend a school that has a large and spirited fan base. I want to be a part of a great athletic tradition.

Like I said, I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing to put so much emphasis on their athletic programs. As soon as I thought I had my college choice narrowed down, the list has started to grow again.