Ivy League goes local

There are a lot of schools way up there, said councilors Mr. Tim Holmes and Dr. Joyce Gang, that aren’t considered “Ivy” League. Some schools that are not considered Ivy League are still at the same academic standards as Ivy League schools, but the way people perceive them because they do not carry that title changes.

“There is a main difference,” said junior Scott Imgarten. He said to consider class sizes. In smaller classes, students get more opportunities to get help personally than in larger ones, so those students tend to succeed more in school. In larger classes, that opportunity is not always available.

“I honestly think there’s no difference in the actual teachings, but because of the… prestige [ivy league schools] hold, they’re simply considered better,” said senior Josh Buehrle. It is just like buying clothes. People pay for the name.

Jesse Patch, a senior who has considered attending both of these types of schools, said that there is not a sizable difference in price between the two types of schools. He said it is more a matter of location.

“You can take the Metrolink [when you attend local schools]. All the stuff is in St. Louis,” said Patch. Buehrle also said that location was a key component to look at during the college search. Location says everything from how well students first know their surroundings to how close they are to their families.

“Because they’re local, you’re not separating yourself from the things you know,” said Buehrle. “They’re generally cheaper.”

Paying out-of-state tuition can be over twice the price that students in that state will pay, and for the same education at the same school.

Buehrle also said, “If you’re going to live on campus then you need to know what’s around there and what’s available to you. I would suggest staying local.” He said staying local keeps students near their family in case something happens or the student gets homesick.

According to Dr. Gang and Mr. Holmes, it is more a matter of person. Choosing a school, they said, is more of a case-by-case basis. Students choose based more on how far out of their comfort zone they are willing to go, for example if a student is willing to move out of state or if he would like to be nearer to home.

The two counselors also said some of the schools that are in the same elite group as the ivy league schools, though not necessarily considered Ivy league, are good to look into because some of them offer financial opportunities to make it cheaper. Some also allow students to save up for graduate work. As a final note, they said that a college is good if students like the way the school does things and the environment.