Can’t live with them, can’t live without them

They are suppose to be there for you, pick you up when you are down, help you through thick and thin. But sometimes that’s not always the case. Each parent has a different way of raising his/her child. But which way is the right way? We just want to feel their love. We just want that time and attention from them. Yes, we may not always want them there, but if we made them a part of our lives, maybe they would understand a bit better.

My father didn’t live with me for ten years. When I was younger, though, I would go and visit with him and my step-siblings. He was the #1 dad that each little girl dreams of, but when he came up here to marry my mom, things changed. We argued all the time, got aggravated at each other. He wasn’t the same father I knew as a child, and I wanted him back. But as the years progressed, things got better. I would always talk to my mom about the situation, and she would give me advice on how to approach things with him. She also mentioned to try and suggest things that he would like to do. So that’s what I did. I asked him if he wanted to go out to eat, go see car shows, go to Harley Davidson events, and I even asked if he needed help doing yard work. He saw that I was trying and knew he wanted to do the same. So every time he wanted to go out and do something, he always asked if I want to go and my answer was always yes.

From the experience that I have encountered, I felt that I was constantly craving the attention from him. I tried and tried each day, but it never seemed enough. I learned that you also have to find things in common with your parents. So my advice? Don’t take your parents for granted. Spend each moment with them as if there was no tomorrow. Sit down with them and talk about everything. They will feel more connected to you and will know how to approach things with you.