Sounds of symphonic waves

A film’s score or soundtrack can add a lot to a good film or detract from it. In “Indiana Jones,” the score reflects an adventurous theme, drawing people in to the fast-paced action and suspense. Horror films like “Psycho” and “The Exorcist” provide eerie feelings of fear. When I started to think about movies and look back on them, I noticed at times it was the music that was giving the emotional reaction that the film was trying to provide, and I thought without the music, the scene would have not been successful in its attempt at happiness or sadness. The appreciation of a film’s score goes much unnoticed, and I think audiences take for granted some of the very superb music that goes into to these works. The menacing sounds behind The Joker in “The Dark Knight” made the character even more terrifying for me because the sound was unexpected, causing his character to be unpredictable.

I went and looked up some of the ways these sounds are achieved and I was pretty astounded by the scope of what they actually are. Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard made The Joker’s “Why So Serious” theme using just two notes. Creativity like that is what has made movies that much more enjoyable over the years. Next time when you’re watching your favorite movie I urge to listen to the music and maybe gain a new perspective of the affect of music has on films. This week I leave you with a couple links to some of the soundtracks listed above enjoy.

The Joker” from “The Dark Knight”
    Adventure Theme” from “Indiana Jones”