Cross country team prepares for first meet

Commitment and dedication is shown each and every day of a cross country runner’s life. To be a cross country runner, one has to have confidence in them self and the belief that they can improve their times.

“We want to keep their health and mind strong. Running is a mind sport,” said Coach Michelle Breuer.

Both teams started practicing in the summer to make sure they are prepared and in shape for their first meet. The season begins on Monday at Quail Ridge Park, hosted by Fleet Feet.

The girls team gained five new runners this year with a total of 17 runners. Breuer expects the team to improve due to the increase in numbers although she would like to have a few more runners.

“The girls team is kinda low in numbers and not as many as we would like, but we do have good individuals with good talent,” Breuer said. “I’d like to say we will get through sectionals and have more state qualifiers than last year.”

On the other hand, the boys cross country team is bigger than any other team Central has had. There are many underclassmen on the teams who could potentially run varsity towards the end of the year.

“We would like to have the younger group to be strong and supportive of varsity,” Breuer said. “We want them to aspire to become part of varsity and to improve their confidence as the season goes on.”