Softball team prepares for the season

The varsity softball team starts off its season this Friday night as it participates in the Lead-Off Classic at Troy.

This year’s team is highlighted by returning seniors Brittany Stocker, Jena Bachowski, Kara Schneider and Katie Janis. Even with these key players returning, Coach Brenda Gavril feels experience is an area of concern for this year’s team.

“We have a lot of younger students playing,” Coach Gavril said. “Some are playing positions they have never even played before.”

The young players do indeed have high expectations, as last year’s team made it to the semi-finals of the district tournament after they defeated the number two seed in the first round. Coach Gavril, however, believes teamwork has improved since last season.

“Team camaraderie has definitely improved,” Coach Gavril said. “We have a lot more leadership as well.”

Coach Gavril also believes that defense has improved considerably, which was also a major concern last season.

“We’ve been focusing on defense during our practices,” Coach Gavril said. “The girls definitely look better out on the field.”

Even with such large shoes to fill, Coach Gavril has one simple goal for the team.

“Be competitive in every game,” Coach Gavril said. “We just need to work hard and leave it all on the field.”