Girls golf gets fresh start with new members, coach

This year, the girls golf season is a mixed bag. The team defeated its first opponent, Duchesne High School, on Aug. 22, with freshman Mackenzie McDowell medaling with a score of 49.

The girls’ second match, the Rockwood Summit Invitational, however, did not bring the same success.

“In the Rockwood Summit Invitational we placed 15th out of 17 teams,” said new Head Coach John Miller. “It was the first time this season that any of the girls had walked 18 holes. I think we’ll see improvement in our next tournament at Troy on Sept. 9.”

The disappointing ranking in the tournament did not keep the girls from winning their next dual meet against Fort Zumwalt West. The team won by nine shots and junior Rebecca Bates was a medalist with a score of 49.

The team has a total of seven newcomers, including Coach Miller, who took over the head coach position from Bob Storts. The new team members are senior Kristin Gregory, juniors Morgan Mathis and Jessica Lund, and freshmen Caitlyn Eddy, Allie McCoy, and McDowell.

Coach Miller said he is optimistic about the season and hopes to show the girls their talents.

“This team has a lot of potential to play well this season and my goal is to try and get them to play up to that potential and not settle for mediocrity,” said Coach Miller.