Golf season follows predictions

The girls golf team has continued its streak in winning dual meets, beating Francis Howell North on Sept. 6. Despite the victory, the overall team didn’t perform their best, with the exception of junior Morgan Mathis and freshman Caitlyn Eddy, according to Head Coach John Miller.

“[Mathis and Eddy] shot their best rounds of the season to help defeat the Knights,” said Coach Miller.

Three days later, the team headed to its second invitational at Troy, where it saw improvement in its overall placing, which Coach Miller anticipated after their low standing in the Rockwood Summit Invitational.

“The girls finished fifth place out of 11 teams at the Troy Invitational,” said Coach Miller. “It was a long day playing in the rain, but I was proud of the girls for sticking it out and concentrating on what they were trying to do out there.”

The team’s success in the Troy Invitational was evident in the girls’ scores. Junior Becca Bates continued her excellence by placing ninth out of the 53 golfers. Additionally, the other four FHC golfers, senior Katlyn Schaefermeier, senior Kristin Gregory, Mathis, and Eddy, showed improvement in their individual scores.

“All five golfers shot their best 18-hole rounds of the season and they hope to keep improving,” said Coach Miller.

The girls had a week off, but will be back in action Monday with a tri-meet against Fort Zumwalt East and Francis Howell High. They will also have dual meets Wednesday against Timberland and Sept. 23 against Fort Zumwalt South.