Girls tennis team reminesces as season nears end

On Sept. 26 the girls kicked off this year’s conference tournament. The matches were hosted by Francis Howell for three days of match play.

“During the tournament, I played with [senior] Courtney Tebeau, and I really liked it because we both get along really well, and we adjusted to each others strengths and weaknesses,” senior Mary Binbeutel said.

In preparation for the season and this tournament, junior Alexandra Wilson looked ahead and did what she needed to do to earn a varsity position.

“I bought a new tennis racket, and I practiced my serves after school,” Wilson said. “I really wanted to make varsity this season because I wanted to finally play some really competitive opponents.”

As districts approach, junior Kourtlyn Adams reminesces her years of playing tennis and looks ahead to districts.

“Freshman tennis was new to me, and I was very quiet and shy because I didn’t really know anyone,” Adams said. “Then, sophomore year, I felt more at ease and accepted. This season I felt more like a leader.” “Looking ahead to districts, I feel confident not only for myself, but for the entire team. We’ve really worked hard this year, and I hope we all perform to our highest in the next tournament.”

As the season comes to an end, the ladies reflect on their most memorable experiences through the season.

“I gave Howell their first loss in a conference match,” junior Kathryn Gerler said, “They were undefeated and everyone was really nervous to play against them.”

Even with this big win the team still had many adjustments to make this season, according to senior Torrey Wilson.

“In light of the circumstances and changes this year, we all had a very successful season, and I’m going to miss all of these girls next year,” Wilson said.