McKinley places first in districts

Senior cross country runner Josh McKinley finished first in the district championship meet at McNair Park. It was the first time in school history a male cross country runner won a district meet.

“It’s great, I’ve had my eyes on that race since freshman year. It’s great that I was able to do that for myself and my hard work paid off.” McKinley said.

McKinley is enjoying the praise he is receiving from his classmates. A majority of the school found out via school announcements on Monday.

“It’s great, but I don’t need my head to get any bigger,” McKinley laughed.

Districts was the second to last meet of the season until state. The final meet is at also at McNair, a sectional that McKinley is anxiously looking forward to.

“The kid I’m going against is Nick Stewart from McCluer North, and it’ll be good because we have the exact same running time at McNair.” he said. “It’ll be a great challenge.”

After sectionals, Josh plans to focus his attention on track in the spring. His big goal is the state championship for the mile. After a week of rest, he plans to start his winter training.