Scholar’s scrimmage is success

Tuesday marked the first scrimmage of the year for the Howell Central Scholar Quiz Bowl teams. This was purely for sport between the six St. Charles League teams and to get them into the groove of the game.

The two-and-a-half hour scrimmage at Howell proved to be a valuable use of time in order for newer members to get some experience and meet other players in teams throughout the league. Another difference for the afternoon scrimmage was the length.

A game is usually composed of four quarters, but Tuesday’s scrimmage held two quarters for each game to achieve a comfortable environment and understanding of the game for all players.

“I was very proud of our team. Most notably, we had brand new team members who performed quite well for their first time,” said third year coach Sharon KIng.

On a side note, in all three years Ms. King has coached for quiz bowl, she has only had one girl participant. In contrast, there are four girls on the 2011-2012 scholar quiz bowl team, and all of whom have impressed their teammates.

“I’m confident that it’s going to be a good season. The team we have this year is just as good as years past,” said senior team captain Nic Deckard.

The first competition of the year will be Nov. 15 at Zumwalt North at 3:30 p.m.