Girls volleyball ready to go

Things are looking bright this year for varsity girls volleyball. Led by coach Mark McAfee, this year’s team feels over prepared for the upcoming season and looks to follow in the state championship footsteps of boys volleyball last May.

Team-elected senior captains, Mary Emery, Danielle Lorenscheit, and Jenna Rekosh, are excited to lead a team with such good camaraderie. Lorenscheit already has her sights set on going far in districts.

“For a lot of the girls. this season will be our first time as a whole playing together,” said Lorenscheit. “We’ve got really good chemistry with each other and are just looking forward to kicking off the season right.”

In addition, many of the players on the team are upperclassmen; however, sophomore Caroline Green, and freshman Ava Mich had enough talent to make the varsity cut, leading the way for the future of girls volleyball.

With two to three games each week, the team is building their staminas to accompany their heavy schedule. The first match is set for Monday against Washington, a distant volleyball rival of FHC because of past outcomes.

“We haven’t beaten Washington in a few years. It will be nice to have one more shot to finally win,” said Lorenscheit.